L.A. Lady

I'm a Hollywood native who's ready to spread the love for L.A. You'll be reading about my assorted adventures, nutty knitting and crochet projects, wacky and wonderful friends and whatever else I feel like yammering about. Don't forget shoes. Very important.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

A grievous grievance



Now, here I was, up early, minding my own business, watching the news and having some coffee - and what do I see??

An inane cell phone commercial where Geekyboy #1 is enjoying a song that his cell phone is playing, and singing along.

He gleefully sings, "Rock the cash box..." while Geekyboy #2 corrects him thinking that it must be, "Stop the cat box..." and then they both continue on their merry way.

By now, I'm sure you know that we're talking about "Rock The Casbah."

The Clash.

Now, while this was not one of their most definitive - though it was a commercial hit - songs, they were a band of the utmost artistic integrity, and I can't help but think that if Joe Strummer were still with us, he would have pummeled anyone who suggested that his music be used in this way.

The Clash respected their fans, too. The surviving members even refused to play at their induction into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame because this was not an event open to the public - their fans.

I understand that artists have to make a living too, but this isn't some random nobody electronica band who will continue to starve if they don't get their needledrop fee - this is The Clash, whose catalog, I'm convinced, continues to generate revenue.

Look, picking music and using it in other spots is part of what I do for a living - but dumbing down the music I choose is not, which is why commercials like this piss me off.

Quite frankly, this dumbs down the fans, too.

Just imagine some kid asking their mom or dad, "Hey, do you know that song in the commercial, Mom/Dad?"
"Yes, honey, that's The Clash! They were amazing!"
"Um, sure...they...were, Mom/Dad..."

There are lots of great ads that do justice to the often expensive music used in them, and then, well, there's crap like the ad I'm talking about.

I'm done venting now.

Morning all!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My God! I was just having a private rant about this very thing this morning on my way to work. "Lock the cashbox"? "Stop the cat box"? Setting aside for a moment the injustice to Joe Strummer, who is surely rolling in his grave, the lyrics are right there in the title of the song, you dumb asses. ROCK THE CASBAH. I mean, sure, when that song was at its pinnacle, no one knew the rest of the lyrics, but the freakin' chorus was a given. Sheesh!

They could have used a Fleetwood Mac song, because no one knows what the hell Stevie Nicks is trying to say.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

"...excuse me, while I kiss this guy..."

Ahhh...Jimi Hendrix at his finest.

Whatever happened to jingle writers? Now, they just use old songs for commercials. I liked jingles better..."You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent."

Ranter #3

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you described is why Elvis Costello has never allowed his music to be used in commercials. E.C. can't stop every hockey or baseball team in the country from using a few unlicensed seconds of "Pump It Up" to get the fans charged up for a power play or to get a rally going, but he's never wanted his songs to be identified with commercial products. If he's rich enough to turn down this easy money (and principled enough as well), then more power to him.
Dennis In Philadelphia.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

WeHo SnB
Previous | List | Next